As we move towards the final few weeks of your child’s journey through Embsay Primary, I’d like to take this opportunity to write and update you on several upcoming dates of importance as well as the events we have planned which will hopefully make those weeks as memorable as possible.
- Secondary transition visits to Embsay: most secondary schools have now organised, or are in the process of organising, visits to Embsay to meet the children. Our next confirmed visits are with The Skipton Academy on Monday 22nd May and Upper Wharfedale on Thursday 25th May. Transition meetings are also taking place between secondary staff and Miss Sanderson.
- Transition visits to Secondary Schools: children will be visiting their secondary school as part of transition in late June/early July. Your child’s confirmed secondary school should hopefully have been in touch to confirm this, or certainly will be in the near future.
- Red Cross Visit: On the afternoon of Monday 22nd May, Red Cross will be coming in to deliver a workshop to the children about ‘Coping with Changes’.
- Touch Rugby Tournament: The children will be taking part in a Rugby Tournament at Sandylands on the morning of Friday 26th May - the children should already be wearing their PE kit, however please ensure they have suitable outdoor sports footwear and warm outer layers in the event of inclement weather.
Prior to the tournament, Sandylands will be coming in to school to give the class a training session. This will take place on Wednesday 24th May - please ensure children come in wearing their PE kit and suitable outdoor shoes/outer layers.
- Parents’ Evening (Y6 only): Parents’ evenings for Year 6 will take place on the 14th and 15th June from 2:30pm – 6pm. Face to face appointments will run from 2:30pm – 4pm. Zoom appointments will run from 4:30pm – 6pm. We will once again use the School Cloud booking system which will open to parents at 9am on Monday 5 th June. The focus of these meetings is transition and being ‘secondary ready’.
- Athletics: Year 6 children will be taking part in a morning of Athletics at Sandylands on Friday June 16th – the children should already be wearing their PE kit, however please ensure they have suitable outdoor sports footwear and warm outer layers in the event of inclement weather.
- Class Photos: These will take place on Monday 3rd July.
- Sports Day: Children will take part in our annual Sports Day on Thursday 6th July (morning). Further information will be sent out in due course.
- Shakespeare Schools Festival: Year 6 are extremely lucky to be taking part in the ‘Schools Shakespeare Festival’ in association with Coram Shakespeare Schools Foundation and South Craven Secondary School. We have already begun workshops and introduction to the play, ‘The Tempest’, and will be casting over the coming week. The dress rehearsal and performance will take place at South Craven School on Thursday 13th July. Further details regarding times and parent attendance will be sent out in a separate letter.
- Y6 Leavers’ Service: Our service will take place at St. Mary’s Church on Monday 17th July at 7pm. Children will be receiving song lyrics to rehearse for this, and I would be grateful if you could encourage as much practice as possible! Children are asked if they’d like to showcase a talent, in this case, I have asked those children to be prepared to show me their rehearsed piece on Monday 26th June. If your child is one of those
who have decided to perform, I would be grateful if you could support and encourage them to rehearse at home.
- Brass Recital: Year 6 have worked incredibly hard in music over the past two years and as such, would like to share their talents with you. A small recital is being organised for the afternoon of Wednesday 19th July. Times to be confirmed.
- Y6 End of Year Trip: we have organised a trip to Laser Zone and Hollywood Bowl, Leeds, on Thursday 20th July. The children will enjoy back-to-back games at ‘Laser Zone’ followed by an hour of bowling and lunch at Hollywood Bowl. Further information pertaining to food requirements, cost and timings will be sent out in a separate letter.
- Awards: the children will be designing and making awards for all the other children in their class which will be presented to them at the Leavers’ Service.
- Hoodies and Yearbook: We are currently finalising the content of this year’s yearbook ready to be sent off to the supplier; they should hopefully be with us in time for the last week of term. Hoodies will be presented to the children as part of their Leavers’ Service.
- Signing of t-shirts and photos: on the final day, Friday 21st July, Year 6 will be able to sign t-shirts, collect autographs and take photos with their friends. The children are allowed to bring a camera to school for this. Children who wish to use their phone to take photos will be allowed to do so on the agreement that phones are only switched on when allowed (at agreed, specific times) and no texts or call phones are to made whilst on school premises.
If you do not wish your child to take part in the signing of t-shirts/photos, please can you inform the office.
Films in class: We may have the opportunity to watch the following films in class at some point – ‘Percy Jackson: The Lightning Thief’ and ‘The Adventurers’. Both of these films are rated ‘PG’. If you would rather your child did not watch a PG rated film, please let the office know.
Finally, I would also like to take this opportunity to extend my thanks and appreciation for the support you have given the children throughout their Embsay journey. They have certainly experienced some extraordinary times in recent years and it is my hope therefore that, whilst it has not always been straight forward, we have managed to bring some form of normality back to their school experience in time for their last two years at Embsay. They have worked incredibly hard and demonstrated not just their tenacity for coping in unprecedented circumstances, but also their resilience and commitment to being the fantastic children they are. They deserve a huge well done – and a sincere thank you - from me.
If you have any further questions, please contact me or Mrs Prest via the school office.